The Timberwolves and I are friends on Facebook. Out of all my friends, they have the best status updates. They promote deals on tickets and boast about an addition to the organization. They never post drippy, woe is me status updates and if any of my friends have the right to be a little down it’s the Timberwolves.
Their latest update is my favorite. Top Ten Timberwolves moments and as a friend, I get to help decide which moments those are. Here are my top ten:
10. Draft day trade for Randy Foye.
9. When the team hung a banner for having the best record in the NBA for the month of January.
8. Mispelling Wolves on the Read to Achive poster.
7. Kevin McHale.
6. The run to the Western Conference finals.
5. Stanley Roberts and Oliver Miller.
4. Each time KG punched Wally during practice, because then I knew we had a season.
3. The salad years with Flip. Win 50 games and get hammered in the first round of the playoffs.
2. Signing Joe Smith and setting the franchise back for, well they’ve never stopped reeling.
1. David Kahn and Ricky Rubio.
David Kahn spent the past few days meeting with DKV Joventut about a potential buyout of Ricky Rubio’s contract. In those same few days, Rubio was quoted as saying his basketball future was with the Timberwolves. He used the word Timberwolves—it was for the first time.
There was a glimmer of hope of the impossible happening. Kahn was working on a deal on the buyout. Rubio gushed about the Wolves pursuit. He liked us. Rubio wanted to be a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Kahn reached an agreement with DKV Joventut. He did it. Kahn somehow made those 500,000 stretch and finagle and morph into an attractive buyout. I wanted to hug Kahn.
Rubio pulled out. Rubio turned down the contract offer. He was going to play in the NBA no matter this coming season. He wants to stay in Spain and play for Barcelona. He doesn’t feel ready to play in the NBA. He turned down the Timberwolves offer. He’s Ricky Rubio; he’s not like anyone else. He’s flattered by the Wolves and their willingness to stand by him. He turned down the Timberwolves contract offer.
Rubio has no interest in playing for the Timberwolves.